India's tally of coronavirus pandemic raised to 71,75,880 with a spike of 55,342 new cases on Tuesday, that is the lowest since August.
India is shows a trend of declining average daily cases over the past five weeks. After a month, on October 9, active cases fell below the 9 lakh mark and have steadily followed a downward slope since August, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare has said.
India records 55,342 new cases: Key Points
- India recorded around 55,000 cases on July 31 (55,078), August 4 (52,050) and August 18 (55,079).
- Out of the total cases so far, 8,38,729 are currently active, 62,27,295 have been discharged, while 1,09,856 lost the battle against the pandemic.
- While the recovery rate stands at 86.78 per cent, the fatality rate is 1.53 per cent, the data from the Ministry data showed.
- Maharashtra continues to be the worst-hit with a total of 15,35,315 cases including 40,514 deaths; followed by Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh and Delhi.
- According to the data from the Indian Council of Medical Research (ICMR), India conducted 10,73,014 sample tests in a single day on Monday, taking the total number of samples tested so far to 8,89,45,107.