In what is being seen as a recall of the last US election campaign, Donald Trump during one of his rallies used the phrase ‘lock him up’ for democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden. In the run-up to the 2016 election, Trump has infamously led the chants of ‘lock her up’ while campaigning against his then opponent Hillary Clinton. Trump also called Biden’s family ‘a criminal enterprise’ which was received with applauds by the crowd. While discussing Biden’s alleged contact with Ukrainian authorities, Trump constantly targeted the ‘corrupt nature’ of Biden. This was received sturdily by the crowd as they started chanting “lock him up” slogans.
Trump even talked about Dr Anthony Fauci, who has been the leading figure over the US’ fight with coronavirus. The President targeted Dr Fauci and other scientists by calling them ‘idiot’, ‘bad guys’ and ‘disaster’. "Every time he goes on television, there's always a bomb. but there's a bigger bomb if you fire him. But Fauci's a disaster." said the current President.
'Lock him up', 'a criminal enterprise', 'disaster', 'idiots', Trump sends a clear message: Key points
- "People are tired of hearing Fauci and all these idiots," Trump said while speaking to campaign aides on a conference call. "Every time he goes on television, there's always a bomb. but there's a bigger bomb if you fire him. But Fauci's a disaster."
- Trump is going all-out on Biden and scientists in his campaign rallies. He’s not sparing even the frontline coronavirus doctors like Dr Fauci who’s been the spokesperson of coronavirus related matter.
- A fundraiser that has been set-up for the election campaign of the Trump used the same subject line “Lock her up”, which was used 4 years ago. The trend paints a clear picture, Trump is using the same tactics he did in the last campaign.
- These phrases and taglines were very persuasive first time round when he managed to secure a majority in the election but there’s one thing to be noted this time, that he’s using these statements against scientists when America is topping world’s chart in coronavirus cases and deaths.
- But Trump banks upon the power of social media and its sheer strength of pushing out to remote areas news even if its fake. When it was proven that the Russians interfered in 2016 elections through social media and targeted undecided voters, Trump was not impeached due to Republican majority in Senate as well as the House. This provides Trump with another tactic of securing majority and getting away with it.
- With only 14 days left for the US Presidential Election 2020, President Donald Trump, who is running for re-election looks to give a final shot at the propaganda of showing Biden and company as unfit for the Presidential seat.