Sanjay Nirupam Alleges Kunal Kamra Received Funds from Anti-India Groups

Making these charges at a press conference in Mumbai on Saturday, Nirupam said that Kamra had unlawfully raised ₹4 crore of foreign funding to advance this agenda.

Shiv Sena deputy leader and party spokesperson Sanjay Nirupam has accused stand-up comedian Kunal Kamra's satirical songs of being part of an international conspiracy to defame India, as well as the Supreme Court and Prime Minister Narendra Modi.

Making these charges at a press conference in Mumbai on Saturday, Nirupam said that Kamra had unlawfully raised ₹4 crore of foreign funding to advance this agenda.

Advertisement

He further alleged that one of Kamra's financial backers is the US-based Ford Foundation, which has been accused earlier of funding anti-India groups.

In Nirupam's opinion, Kamra's YouTube programs have been utilized to vilify India's image, as well as to target leading figures, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi, Home Minister Amit Shah, and Shiv Sena leader Eknath Shinde.

Advertisement

"Such performances have reportedly been funded by foreign sources, with Kamra having received more than ₹4 crore from nations such as Canada, Australia, the United States, Saudi Arabia, and Qatar," he claimed.

Charges of Religious Influence and Legal Offenses
Nirupam further alleged that most of this money had been donated by donors from a particular religious community. He asked if religious leaders had issued a fatwa in favor of Kamra's funding.

Advertisement

He particularly cited Kamra's satirical song Hum Honge Kangal, stating that it has damaged India's international reputation. He also implicated anti-India groups in Canada as possible facilitators of monetary support for the comedian.

The Shiv Sena leader demanded an investigation under the Foreign Exchange Management Act (FEMA), pointing out that under Section 3 of FEMA, persons like election candidates, journalists, columnists, cartoonists, editors, media houses, and YouTubers are not allowed to receive foreign funding.

Advertisement

"Kamra's acceptance of foreign funds is a blatant violation of FEMA, and he must be charged with sedition," Nirupam insisted.

He also alleged that Kamra is now hiding in Tamil Nadu out of fear and asserted that no one can go unpunished legally.

Advertisement

Nirupam also accused Kamra of having connections with the Shiv Sena (UBT) faction, presenting statements made by party MP Sanjay Raut as proof.

Stressing that officeholders of constitutional positions must not be subjected to defamation in the name of free speech, Nirupam further accused Kamra's show to be produced by a woman named Shetty whose organization had taken funds from the Ford Foundation.

Advertisement

He associated the Ford Foundation with billionaire investor George Soros, charging it with trying to destabilize governments across the globe. Nirupam also alleged that even former US President Donald Trump had thought of acting against the foundation.

Call for Ban on Open Meat Sale During Navratri
Apart from his remarks regarding Kamra, Nirupam also called for a ban on the open sale of meat during Chaitra Navratri, which commences on March 30.

Advertisement

The Shiv Sena is demanding an immediate ban on the open sale of meat from Gudi Padwa to Ram Navami during the Navratri festival," he said.

He said that in Andheri itself, there are more than 250 shawarma stalls. Navratri is a religious festival for Hindus, Shiv Sena said, and the open sale of non-vegetarian food like chicken, mutton, and kebabs on footpaths and in markets is an insult to religious sentiments.

Advertisement

In this context, the party is insisting on a blanket prohibition on open sale of meat during this time. Shiv Sena activists will be making a formal application to the police today," Nirupam added.

Read also| Statehood in J-K to be restored as promised, Says Amit Shah

Advertisement

Read also| Mayawati Condemns Samajwadi Party for 'Dirty Politics' Over Rana Sanga Controversy

tags
Advertisement